Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Read an RPG in Public Week: March 4-10

While checking out the latest information in regards to GM day, I happened to stumble onto a great idea put forward by The Escapist.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Escapist, they are a website promoting advocacy of the game we love the most.

For a few years now they have been advocating to publicly advocate reading RPG books in public places and taking the photos of yourself reading these books in public.

I thought to myself: "Quelle idée géniale!" and decided to participate by:

a. Writing about this awesome sounding idea on my blog site,
b. Taking a photo of myself reading something RPG related,
c. Help dispel the stigma attached to RPG games and gaming in general by helping promote an event such as this one.

What a lot of people around the world do not seem to understand, is that RPGs are not Satan's choice of drugs, but that role-playing is actually: "an engaging and intellectually stimulating activity that promotes teamwork, problem solving, and creative thinking" - The Escapist.

Not only does it promote all of these things, but through experience I have found the game to improve one's critical thinking.  I have been hosting it at the school for over 4 years to date and it is still one of the largest extra curricular activities in the school.

The game is pure geekness; so what?  If that is the worst thing that could be said about the game or a person, then so be it. No one is going to take their lives, no one is going to worship Satan.  Everything that is heard out there is pure nonsense.

Preparing for The Elder Elemental Eye
My students took this photo of me while I was supply teaching in class and they were working on the computers doing some editing for an upcoming project.

Some light reading.  I once brought my minis to school for D&D Encounters one week and my students think that I play with dolls.

I laugh out loud when students call me a geek; 'Thanks for the compliment!' I say all the time.  The D&D group for awhile was called the 'Geek Squad' and the 'Nerd Herd'.  Great names!!


This project "Read an RPG Book in Public Week" runs 3 times this year:

March 4th - 10th, 2012
July 22nd - 28th, 2012
September 30th - October 6th, 2012

If you want more information visit the Escapist's  "Read an RPG Book in Public Week" page.

The Escapist seem on an initial glance to be a top notch site. More to come on this matter later.

I thought this photo was really cute.


Drop a comment to tell me if you are going to participate this week or for any of the weeks to come.  Send me some of your photos at twentyfootradius@gmail.com or post some of your own, just let me know; that would be cool!!

Happy read an RPG in Public Week!!

Have a 20ft radius burst participating,

Alton.